Top of the Lake 4×4 Scenic Safari
If halfway along the side of Lake Hawea is not enough for you, you need to go to ‘the top of the lake.’ A private farm track allows us to cross the Dingleburn River and head for the top of the lake which is about a further 2 hrs drive (depending on photo stops), heading directly for the heart of the Southern Alps. The Hunter River meanders into the top of the lake as we push on to our destination of Green Bush hut. Look inside Green Bush hut and get a taste of REAL back country living, we’ll swing the billy on the open fire inside for a brew of tea or coffee and have lunch. Outside the views are simply stunning.
- Great views across the lake to the Big Hopwood Burn, High Burn, Waterfall creek and Cascade Creek.
- Walk down to the Hunter River for some of the purist water in the world.
- Relax and have lunch (provided) in this harsh yet beautiful back country environment.
- Sign your name in the hut book and read from the rafters the names of a bygone era.
- Soak it all in including breath taking views, imposing terrain and outstanding, wild back country.
Top of the lake scenic 4×4 safari details
Duration: 8 hrs
Price: $395 Adult $195 Child (Under 14)
Availability: Dependant on farm activities and weather
Minimum 2 Pax, max 4 pax (additional vehicles available on request)
Door to door pick up and drop off from the Wanaka area